President Donald Trump held his first solo news conference as president on Thursday afternoon, starting by announcing a Cabinet choice before berating media outlets and praising the actions his administration has taken since he took office.
Read related coverage:
Trump announces R. Alexander Acosta as Labor secretary pick
Trump: I fired Flynn because of what he said to Pence
Donald Trump complains the media ignores bull market despite constant coverage of bull market
President Donald Trump reveals that new executive order to 'protect' United States is coming next week
Trump says billionaire, former critic Paul Singer visited White House
Trump announced Alexander Acosta as his new Labor secretary choice after Andy Puzder withdrew from consideration. Acosta is the dean of Florida International University College of Law and was a member of the National Labor Relations Board. He also served as a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and as a U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, meaning the Senate previously confirmed him for jobs three times.
The event also comes amid lingering questions about the circumstances that led to the resignation of National Security Advisor Michael Flynn on Monday. Some Democrats have called for a deeper investigation into contacts that Flynn and other Trump aides reportedly had with Russian officials.
Trump said he "asked for (Flynn's) resignation" and he "respectfully gave it." Reports indicated that Flynn misled Vice President Mike Pence about his contacts with the Russian ambassador to the United States.
"He didn't tell the vice president of the United States the facts and then he didn't remember and that's just not acceptable," Trump said of Flynn.
Trump attacked media outlets and officials who leaked information to them, calling reports about contacts his aides had with Russian officials "fake news." However, he again appeared to contradict himself by criticizing leakers for giving out information while disputing that the information is true.
Trump also announced that he will issue "a new executive action next week that will comprehensively protect our country." His divisive order on travel from seven Muslim-majority countries was recently dealt blows by the court system.