The U.S. Department of Justice is to announce charges against hackers believed to be behind the data breach that saw hundreds of millions of Yahoo accounts compromised, according to reports.
Four hackers with ties to Russia will be charged with the 2014 breach, which affected around 500 million user accounts, according to separate reports from CNN and ABC News. Yahoo has previously said that it believed the hack was carried out by “state-sponsored actors”, though declined to reveal which country might be behind it.
The names, email addresses and passwords of Yahoo users were stolen by the hackers, though the firm claimed no financial information had been taken. Three of the suspects are reportedly in Russia, while the fourth is located in Canada.
The Yahoo logo is seen through a magnifying glass in front of a displayed cyber code on December 16, 2016. Reports suggest the hackers behind the Yahoo data breach are to be charged. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
The DoJ and the FBI’s San Francisco office have scheduled press conferences Wednesday, though their topics are yet to be disclosed officially.
Data from more than 1 billion Yahoo accounts was obtained by hackers in August 2013, double the number of accounts implicated in the 2014 breach of the internet company. It wasn’t until December 2016 that Yahoo revealed that it had uncovered the larger of the two cyberattacks.
The hack was described as “monumental” and “embarrassing” by security experts, as well as unprecedented in its scale.
“Embarrassingly, Yahoo has broken its own record and reported the largest data breach in history,” Nigel Hawthorn, a spokesperson for security firm Skyhigh Networks, told Newsweek. “At this stage, it seems that things probably can’t get any worse for the company.”Try Newsweek: Subscription offers