Retired footballer Ronaldo, who was admitted to intensive care on the Spanish island of Ibiza last week, has allayed fears about his health, saying he expects to be released on Monday.
Ronaldo, 41, was rushed to Can Misses hospital on Friday, where he was placed in intensive care, but said on Monday that he was soon to be discharged.
READ MORE: Brazilian legend Ronaldo in intensive care after contracting pneumonia – report
“Friends, I had a strong bout of the flu in Ibiza and I had to be admitted to hospital but everything is in order,” he said in a statement.
“Tomorrow I'll be discharged and I'll be able to go back home. Thank you for all your love and your messages.”
It is the latest health issue for the second top scorer in Brazilian national team history. He has previously been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, which had caused him to experience several issues with his weight.
READ MORE: Cristiano Ronaldo scores in Juventus debut friendly match
The two-time Ballon d’Or winner, who was part of Brazil’s victorious World Cup squads in 1994 and 2002, owns property on the Spanish island.